1. The Plough and the Stars
116 Clement Street, Inner Richmond District(415) 751-1122 www.theploughandstars.com
2. The Irish Bank
10 Mark Street, Union Square area (415) 788-7152 www.theirishbank.com
3. The Phoenix
811 Valencia Street, Mission District (415)695-1811 www.phoenixirishbar.com
4. Durty Nelly'sThose looking to sip a proper pint with locals and real Irish ex-pats should head to the Outer Sunset neighborhood and this down and dirty Irish bar. During soccer matches, the place can get absolutely insane, and weekends pack the house and often feature live music. The roaring fireplace and house made shepard´s pies, however, are unbeatable consolations for even the foggiest San Francisco days.
2328 Irving Street, Outer Sunset District (415) 664-2565 Facebook
5. Johnny Foley's
243 O’Farrell Street, Union Square area (415) 954-0777 www.johnnyfoleys.com
6. The Blarney StoneA great place to grab a bite and a pint after visiting Baker Beach, the Legion of Honor or the museums of Golden Gate Park, the Blarney Stone is a very local watering hole with a nice back patio, several flat screen televisions tuned to sports and barbecues on the weekend. A small Irish bakery next door caters to the Irish community that still lives in the area and provides tasty bar snacks for patrons.
5625 Geary Boulevard, Outer Richmond District (415) 386-9914
7. O' Reilly'sAn authentic Irish bar in the middle of traditionally Italian North Beach, O’Reilly’s draws a very international crowd that includes European tourists as well as local residents. Sidewalk seating makes for great people watching on weekend nights, while cozy hardwood tables inside allow for intimate conversations.
622 Green Street, North Beach (415) 989-6222 www.sforeillys.com
8. Ireland's 32With live DJs and local bands on the weekends, football parties on Mondays and karaoke and open mic during the week, Ireland's 32 is a favorite local hangout in the Inner Richmond neighborhood. Tourists will be warmly welcomed however, and the local crowd itself is often quite international, if rowdy at times.
3920 Geary Boulevard, Inner Richmond District (415) 386-6173 www.irelands32.com
9. Fiddler's GreenEven during the slowest stretch of the tourist off-season, this rambunctious Irish bar is often the most happening joint in the entire Fisherman's Wharf area. Part of this is due to the fact that live Irish music is played downstairs in the pub seven nights a week and a variety of local bands and dance parties heat up the upper level disco Wednesday through Saturday nights.
1333 Columbus Ave, Fisherman's Wharf (415) 441-9758 www.fiddlersgreenpub.com