1. Firewood Cafe
Address:101 4th Street, ground floor
2. Magnolia GastropubThis is a great place to take a break for brunch, lunch or dinner while shopping or people watching in the Height. Known for its artisan brews and casual atmosphere (dark wood booths, large windows) this Magnolia is sophisticated enough for adults and accessible to kids with items like pizza, burgers, and milk and cookies rounding out the fancier fare.
Address: 1398 Haight Street
Website: Magnolia Gastropub
3. Just For YouHuge breakfasts are the draw at this funky neighborhood dive decorated with Rock ’n Roll posters. Just for You serves whopping portions of southern-inspired cooking; locals come for the piping hot beignets dusted with sugar, savory hash, and biscuits and gravy. Standards like hamburgers and fries are also served.
Address: 732 22nd Street
4. Park Chow
Address: 1240 9th Avenue
Website: Park Chow
5. Mel's DinerFestooned with balloons and juke boxes, Mel’s Diner is sure to satisfy even the most petulant toddler. Kids’ meals are served in a miniature paper car, menus for the little ones double as coloring pages—and Mel’s supplies the crayons. Its convenient downtown location is near parking, shopping, and public transportation.
Address: 801 Mission Street
6. Buca di BeppoBoisterous and bustling, this casual restaurant serves family-style portions of home-style southern Italian fare, with dishes like spaghetti and meatballs and Mac ‘n cheese for the kids.
Address: 855 Howard Street
Website: Buca di Beppo
7. Gialina Pizza
Address: 2842 Diamond Street
8. The Cheesecake FactoryLocated within Macy’s department store in Union Square, this family friendly chain has something for everyone, from soup and salads to pastas and sandwiches.
Address: 251 Geary Street, 8th Floor
Website: The Cheesecake Factory